Director/ Manager Fundraising
Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI) is a global non-profit organization based in North America. SikhRI inspires individuals to connect with their roots and organizations to connect with the Sikhs based on Guru Granth Sahib’s paradigm of IkOankar’s Nam (1Force’s Identification). SikhRI is an oasis for development and dialogue based on excellence, integrity, and service to realize the full human potential.
SikhRI seeks to develop a principle-driven community of Sikhs by following Gurmat-based core beliefs and inspiring Sikhs through meaningful interactions, dialogue, and education. SikhRI helps to formulate and promote public policies by engaging in the analysis, study, and research of issues encompassing Sikhs and Sikhism throughout the world.
About the Role:
The Director of Fundraising at SikhRI plays a pivotal role in shaping the organization's mission and impact. As the visionary leader of our fundraising function, you will set the strategic direction, establish policies, and develop objectives to drive our fundraising efforts forward. This role is not just about raising funds; it's about inspiring individuals, businesses, and organizations to join us in our transformative journey to deepen the Sikh experience. You will oversee a dedicated team, engaging them in coordinating and implementing various fundraising programs, building connections with potential donors, and fostering goodwill within our community. As you take the reins in expanding our financial resources, you'll also contribute to preparing our annual budget. You may have the opportunity to write heartfelt expressions of gratitude to our generous supporters. If you're ready to make a profound impact on SikhRI's mission of helping seekers strengthen their relationship with Guru Granth Sahib and embracing Sikhi in all aspects of life, we invite you to apply and be part of our unique and inspiring journey.
- Directs, plans, and develops a comprehensive and innovative fundraising plan/roadmap from an individual, online campaigns, and institutional sources.
- Develops and manages relationships with new and existing foundations, corporations, and community organizations.
- Designs and directs an annual and long-term strategy to cultivate funders, which includes solicitations by mail, electronic media, and face-to-face interactions.
- Recruits, trains, and motivates volunteers to perform certain duties to assist in fundraising. Recruits, hires, trains, and motivates permanent paid staff.
- Plans and oversees special donor recognition activities.
- Work collaboratively and seamlessly with all stakeholders to identify potential individual and institutional partners.
- Strengthen and coordinate the Fundraising Committee to develop and implement special events, ensuring appropriate participation of those sponsors and partners.
- Lead all fundraising efforts and campaigns, including fundraisers and major gift asks.
- Assists in preparing the annual budget by providing data and making recommendations.
- Organize volunteers and plan social functions to raise funds.
- Train volunteers to perform certain duties to assist fundraising.
- In partnership with the Marketing Director - strengthen online presence on all major fundraising websites.
- Solicit increased grants, gifts, and sponsorships from new and continuing funders.
- Determine those relevant to SikhRI through ongoing research and evaluation, and cultivate those prospects that best align with SikhRI’s strategic short and long-term priorities and needs.
- Identifies and implements donor cultivation and solicitation strategies while working closely with volunteers, staff, and management.
- Researches individual giving opportunities and schedules one-on-one visits with prospects and donors.
- Responsible for submitting Letters of Intent, proposals, and applications to foundations, estates/wills, governments, etc., on behalf of SikhRI in a timely and consistent manner, inclusive of developing concepts, gathering and formatting information, and developing clear communications.
- Create systems to build robust internal processing and donor-centered approach
- Plan and execute online fundraising campaigns.
- In partnership with the Marketing Director - support the production of publicity materials (e.g., annual report) and other promotional material.
- Prepare and implement reports for major donors (i.e., Charter Members).
- Maintain a current fundraising report that can be circulated to various stakeholders.
- Design and Develop the data strategy and maintain donor databases (i.e., Funraise).
- Assure the highest level of ratings with agencies such as GuideStar and Charity Navigator.
- Build planned giving mechanisms for will, bequeath, estate, insurance, etc.
- Five-plus years of fundraising (development) experience.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) or Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive (ACFRE) is an asset.
- Proficiency in Panjabi and networking among Sikhs is a strong asset but not required.
- Exceptional proficiency in researching, writing, and editing skills.
- Proven success in meeting and exceeding performance goals; must have documented successful fundraising experience and a keen understanding of fundraising.
- Strong performance orientation and skillful strategic thinking; establishes clear expectations and continuously measures performance.
- Ability to work through stringent deadlines with acute attention to detail.
- Maintain focus on priorities; self-starter with the ability to manage time effectively.
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communications; knowledge of external communications and cultivation techniques.
- A high degree of integrity in dealing with confidential donor and financial information.
- Ability to coordinate logistics, correspondence, financial reports, and printed materials.
- Ability to coordinate and lead committee meetings.
- Proficiency in Asana, Excel, Sheets, Slack, and Funraise; solid analytical ability to retrieve data, analyze data, and translate data into meaningful reports for stakeholders.