There is no other organization in the Sikh world quite like the Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI). Over the past 20 years, our efforts have helped thousands of Sikhs transform how they think about and experience the Guru Granth Sahib, the Guru Khalsa Panth, and IkOankar. Through hundreds of in-person events, online programs, and print resources, our Guru-inspired thought leadership has provided Sikhs around the world with the knowledge, insights, and frameworks to apply Sikhi to all aspects of their lives. We have introduced Gurmat-based perspectives on difficult historical and contemporary issues to facilitate tough conversations in our global and local sangats.
As SikhRI’s permanent part-time Manager of Human Resources, you are a proven Human Resources leader with demonstrated experience in overseeing all areas of Human Resource operations. You combine comprehensive knowledge, understanding, and experience of HR systems, policies, and international laws and regulations.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, you independently research, plan, design, develop, implement and evaluate human resource programs, services, and policies to support SikhRI’s strategic goals for a staff of over 30 full-time, part-time and contract employees based in the US, Canada, India and Singapore.
As a values-based leader, you bring in-depth experience and a deep commitment to integrating SikhRI’s values into our organizational culture and practices. You are passionate about SikhRI’s mission, have strong emotional intelligence, and lead the organization to develop and implement policies and practices around diversity, equity and inclusion, and work/life balance. In addition, you consult with supervisors and staff to provide recommendations and best practice solutions that support effective employee feedback and development.
1 - Leadership
- Effectively plan, design, develop, implement and evaluate human resources programs, services, and policies to support SikhRI’s strategic goals.
- Provide excellent advice and counsel to management related to carrying out their responsibilities on human resource matters.
- Partner with the ED and department leads to enhance overall organizational culture.
- Partner with ED and board members (identified to support legal matters) in investigating and resolving employee concerns and/or complaints including bringing best practices in investigation, documentation, and ensuring equity in resolution.
- Manage HR department employees. Management duties include, when applicable, interviewing, hiring, conducting performance reviews, coaching, motivating, and disciplining employees.
2 - Recruitment and Hiring
- Develop and oversee proactive recruitment strategies aimed to attract diverse, highly qualified candidate pools.
- Manage the recruitment and hiring of all staff in conjunction with supervisors and department leads.
3 - Onboarding, Training & Development
- Oversee the onboarding process to make sure that new members of the team are effectively oriented and supported as they enter SikhRI.
- Work with the leadership team to plan and provide training on human resources policies and management practices.
- Encourage and facilitate cross-training and succession planning throughout the organization.
- Recommend, develop, and evaluate initiatives that will enhance staff development such as career tracks, mentoring programs and others.
- Develop programs, onsite events, staff recognition, and off-site events to continue a workplace culture of team-building, collaboration, and entrepreneurship.
4 - Employee Relations
- Manage and resolve employee relations issues and handle all aspects of resolution, including performance issues and compliance with all relevant legal and union requirements.
- Provide recommendations and advice that supports best practice approaches and minimizes risk to the organization
- Demonstrated understanding of international laws
5 - Performance Management
- Oversee the performance management process, to ensure SikhRI is meeting annual and quarterly review timelines and that there is consistency and equity in rating criteria throughout the organization
- Guide supervisors in effectively using the performance review system to provide meaningful feedback to staff.
- Provide supervisors guidance in coaching, mentoring, and, when necessary, managing disciplinary matters with their staff.
6 - Compensation and Benefits
- Assist in designing compensation and benefits programs that support SikhRI’s ability to attract, retain, and motivate employees.
- Oversee the management and administration of SikhRI’s compensation, and benefits programs, to ensure equity and competitive compensation and practices.
7 - Policies and Procedures
- Update existing organizational policies and procedures and develop and draft new policies and procedures as needed.
- Communicate changes in policies and procedures when applicable.
- Offer guidance and advice on interpretation and implementation of policies.
8 - General Human Resources Operations
- Participate in the annual budget process and help ensure HR function’s compliance with the budget.
- Oversee usage of the HR systems and ensure proper retention of employee records.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment regulations.
- Oversee SikhRI’s compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations on all human resources matters.
- Evaluate the functioning of the HR group and recommend improvements as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) with at least seven years of relevant experience required.
- Leadership experience in senior human resource professional roles in an organization of substantial size and diversity is required
- At least 5 years of experience managing direct reports is required
- Candidates with HR certification (registration and education) with a professional HR organization is preferred
- Experience in the following areas of HR is required:
- Develop long-term recruitment and retention strategies, including assessment of internal talent, talent needs, and talent retention;
- Manage a broad variety of employee relations issues;
- Develop and deliver training and development programs
- Compensation structures, 403(b) plans, health and other benefits;
- Family leave, medical leave, occupational leave, non-occupational leaves, worker’s compensation
- Ability to compile, analyze, and report on HR-related data.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrate initiative in problem-solving, and proven attention to detail are required.
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity in dealing with confidential personnel issues are essential.
- Preferences will be given to applicants with knowledge of applicable laws where SikhRI operates.
- Experience leading an organization through a long-term strategic planning and/or transformational process is an asset.
- Experience with HR software and producing a variety of reports
- Proficiency in Google Workspace, Slack, and other online tools.