There is no other organization in the Sikh world quite like the Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI). Over the past 20 years, our efforts have helped thousands of Sikhs transform how they think about and experience the Guru Granth Sahib, the Guru Khalsa Panth, and IkOankar. Through hundreds of in-person events, online programs, and print resources, our Guru-inspired thought leadership has provided Sikhs around the world with the knowledge, insights, and frameworks to apply Sikhi to all aspects of their lives. We have introduced Gurmat-based perspectives on difficult historical and contemporary issues to facilitate tough conversations in our global and local sangats.
Will your love of SikhRI trump your fear of asking for funds? Do you love SikhRI’s vision and mission? Will you help ensure we are resourced to share the Infinite Wisdom of Sikhi with all seekers?
As the Fundraising Director, you will lead SikhRI’s all fundraising activities from annual giving to building our endowment. You will be responsible for the creation, implementation, leading, coordinating, and managing all fundraising efforts.
You will collaborate with, engage, and support the Executive Director, the Board of Directors, Advisory Council, major donors, staff, and volunteers to identify, engage, cultivate and solicit donors and prospects. You’ll provide leadership and foster good working relationships amongst all stakeholders.
You have demonstrated expertise and success in expanding financial support from individuals (major gifts, planned giving, and annual giving), foundations, corporations, membership organizations, and religious organizations (i.e. Gurduaras). You’ll work in a collaborative environment where passion, dedication, and the ability to consistently innovate are necessary to achieve goals.
This is a full-time North-America based role that will report to the Executive Director
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and innovative fundraising plan from individual and institutional sources
- Develop an annual and long-term strategy to cultivate funders, which includes solicitations by mail, electronic media, and face-to-face interactions
- Work collaboratively and seamlessly with all stakeholders to identify new potential individual and institutional partners
- Strengthen and coordinate Fundraising Committee to develop and implement special events ensuring appropriate participation of those sponsors and partners
- Lead all fundraising efforts and campaigns, including fundraisers and major gifts asks
- Solicit increased grants, gifts, and sponsorships from new and continuing funders. Determine those relevant to SikhRI through ongoing research and evaluation, and cultivate those prospects that best align with SikhRI’s strategic short and long-term priorities and needs
- Responsible for submitting Letters of Intent, proposals, and applications to foundations, estates/will, governments, etc. on behalf of SikhRI in a timely and consistent manner inclusive of developing concepts, gathering and formatting information, and developing clear communications
- Research and assists in developing plans for expanding SikhRI’s fundraising reach
- Oversee production of publicity materials (e.g. annual report) and other promotional material, in consultation with Executive Director, Co-founder, Creative Director, and Marketing Manager
- Prepare and implement reports for major donors (i.e. Charter Members)
- Maintain a current fundraising report that can be provided to ED, Board, Co-founder
- Develop and maintain donor databases (i.e. Funraise)
- Assure the highest level of ratings with agencies such as GuideStar and Charity Navigator
- Build planned giving mechanisms for will, bequeath, estate, insurances, etc.
- Bachelor's degree required; five-plus years of fundraising (development) experience
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) or Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive (ACFRE) is an asset
- Proficiency in Panjabi and networking among the Sikhs is a strong asset but not required
- Exceptional proficiency in researching, writing, and editing skills
- Proven success in meeting and exceeding performance goals; must have documented successful fundraising experience and a keen understanding of fundraising
- Strong performance orientation and skillful strategic thinking; establishes clear expectations and continuously measures performance
- Ability to work through stringent deadlines with acute attention to detail
- Maintains focus on priorities; self-starter with the ability to manage time effectively
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communications; knowledge of external communications and cultivation techniques
- A high degree of integrity in dealing with confidential donor and financial information
- Ability to coordinate logistics, correspondence, financial reports, and printed materials
- Ability to coordinate and lead committee meetings
- Proficiency in Asana, Excel, Sheets, Slack, and Funraise; strong analytical ability to retrieve data, analyze data and translate data into meaningful reports for stakeholders
Compensation: $60,000-$80,000 CAD per annum