We are actively looking for a highly creative and talented Transcreator with experience in writing for a global audience in English. The work is a long-term project centered around the Guru Granth Sahib. The successful candidate must demonstrate proven experience in creating content assets. The transcreator will need to maintain the meaning, grammar and message as presented in the Panjabi while maintaining the poetic tone of the original text. The transcreator will work closely with the translator and revise the translator’s work for global parlance. The transcreator must thoroughly understand the context of a given material which includes the project process and methodology. Ultimately, the transcreator will provide ready-to-use translated content that will support the Sikh Research Institute’s (SikhRI) strategic initiatives and help reach a broader audience.
This is a full-time position contracted with SikhRI. The following list is representative of the duties and responsibilities, but not limited to and are subject to modification at the discretion of the supervisor.
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check the quality of transcreation
- Revise the English language translation to bring out the creative interpretive elements
- Ensure translated content conveys the original meaning and tone by evaluating the translation in the parlance of both languages
- Proofread the translated and the transcreated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its format (e.g. font, structure, and process adhered)
- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices
- Fluent in written & spoken English; fluency in written and spoken Panjabi preferred
- Proven work experience as a Translator or similar role for 5 years
- Along with proficiency in reading, translating and/or interpreting Guru Granth Sahib text, analytical and evaluative skills.
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools & techniques
- Ability to work in a large team setting with multiple workflow functions
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document research progress
- Ability to work independently, accurately and to problem solve technical and methodological issues that arise during the delivery
- Technology proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google collaboration suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Meets)
- A Master's degree or a Research Degree in Translation studies (having worked in translation for Panjabi to English language or vice versa) or in comparative literature; knowledge in ethnolinguistics will be an added advantage
- Competitive salary based on the level of experience and industry standards for this role
- Harinder Singh, Project Lead