We are actively looking for a highly creative and talented commentator with experience in writing for a global audience in Panjabi. The work is a long-term project centered around the Guru Granth Sahib. The successful candidate must demonstrate proven experience in creating content assets. The commentator must thoroughly understand the context of a given material which includes the project process and methodology. Ultimately, the commentator will provide ready-to-use drafted content that will support the Sikh Research Institute’s (SikhRI) strategic initiatives and help reach a broader audience.
- Read the given material and draft a commentary in contemporary Panjabi. Its details are:
- Audience: Global
- Language: Contemporary Panjabi
- Consistency: Contextualizing the message of Guru Granth Sahib
- Purpose: Inspiration, learning, and life transformation
- Ensure the draft is a contemporary adaptation and application of each Sabad (salok/pauri) for a global audience, from the third-person plural perspective
- Ensure the draft is based on the literal translation and interpretive transcreation of the Sabad (salok/pauri) in Panjabi.
- Ensure that the commentaries do not get too esoteric.
- Ensure word choices match the intended audience in terms of knowledge, age appropriateness, and suitability.
- Ensure that sections lead logically from one to another and the commentary reads as a cohesive whole.
- Ensure sentence construction has a variety.
- Proofread the drafted texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy.
- Follow up with internal team members to ensure the draft meets their needs.
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its format (e.g. font, structure, and process adhered).
- Network with field experts to stay current on new creative tools and practices
Hours of work
This is a part-time position contracted with SikhRI. The following list is representative of the duties and responsibilities, but not limited to and are subject to modification at the discretion of the supervisor.
- Fluent in written & spoken Panjabi; fluency in written and spoken English is a plus.
- Proven work experience as a content writer or a similar role for 5 years.
- Along with proficiency in reading and interpreting the text of Guru Granth Sahib, analytical and evaluative skills.
- Good knowledge of content editing tools & techniques.
- Ability to work in a large team setting with multiple workflow functions.
- Additional certification in creative writing is a plus.
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document research progress.
- Ability to work independently, accurately and to problem solve technical. and methodological issues that arise during the delivery.
- Technology proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google collaboration suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Meets).
- A Master's degree or a Research Degree in Religious studies/Sikh studies or in Panjabi/comparative literature.
Compensation: Competitive salary based on the level of experience and industry standards for this role
Supervisor: Jaswant Singh, Content Lead