The Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI) is actively looking for an Assistant Researcher to join our team and support SikhRI’s research and development initiatives. You will develop unique, short-form, and long-form content and disseminate surveys and feedback mechanisms, bridging academia with the community through various projects, including SikhRI’s “State of the Panth” reports. You will support the Creative Director and the Innovation Director and work closely with the Research Associate to produce all content. Knowledge of the Sikh faith is required. The Assistant Researcher will report directly to the Creative Director.
Assistant Researcher Responsibilities
- Draft, edit, and proof content for publication
- Research Sikh matters, using primary and secondary sources to form a Gurmat perspective rooted in Bani (wisdom), Tavarikh (history), and Rahit (lifestyle)
- Design, conduct, and analyze survey data on Sikh matters
- Liaise with team members (e.g., researchers, analysts, writers, designers, reviewers, etc.)
Assistant Researcher Requirements
- Degree in humanities, religious studies, history, or political science
- Strong interest in bridging academia with the community in the study of Guru Granth Sahib and Sikh matters
- Proficiency in English is required; additional proficiency in Panjabi preferred
- Impeccable grammar, spelling, and communication skills
- Knowledge of editing principles, practices, and methods; modern English usage, publication format; principles of supervision
- Solid understanding and experience with AP Style and web publishing
- Basic HTML knowledge (h2s, links, etc.) and technical proficiency in Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management systems
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively; excellent time and project management skills focused on deliverables and deadlines
- Commitment of 3+ years.
In your cover letter, please include:
- WHY do you want to work for SikhRI?
- WHY are you the perfect fit for the job?
Please provide a 3000 - 5000 word writing sample.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week)