We are actively looking for a highly creative and talented Gurbani Grammarian and Translator with experience in translation, interpretation or writing for a global audience in Panjabi. The translator will need to maintain the meaning, grammar, message and poetic tone as presented in the original text. The work is a long-term project centered around the Guru Granth Sahib. The successful candidate must demonstrate proven experience in creating content assets. The person must thoroughly understand the context of a given material which includes the project process and methodology. Ultimately, the person will provide ready-to-use drafted content that will support the Sikh Research Institute’s (SikhRI) strategic initiatives and help reach a broader audience.
- Read the given material and research specific terminology.
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check the quality of translation
- Prepare a draft in Gurmukhi, comprising:
- Word-wise grammatical details of every word and its meaning in contemporary Panjabi
- Line-wise grammatical meaning (literal translation) in contemporary Panjabi
- Necessary information related to particular terms and phrases used in the text
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Ensure word choices match the intended audience in terms of knowledge, age appropriateness, and suitability.
- Ensure that stanzas lead logically from one to another and the translation reads as a cohesive whole.
- Proofread the drafted texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy.
- Follow up with internal team members to ensure the draft meets their needs.
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its format (e.g. font, structure, and process adhered).
- Network with field experts to stay current on new creative tools and practices
Hours of work
This is a full-time position contracted with SikhRI. The following list is representative of the duties and responsibilities, but not limited to and are subject to modification at the discretion of the supervisor.
- Fluent in written & spoken Panjabi; fluency in written and spoken English is a plus.
- Proven work experience related to Guru Granth Sahib grammar, translation and interpretation or similar role for 3 years.
- Ability to read, translate and interpret the text of Guru Granth Sahib.
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools & techniques.
- Ability to work in a large team setting with multiple workflow functions.
- Additional certification in linguistics is a plus.
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document research progress.
- Ability to work independently, accurately and to problem solve technical. and methodological issues that arise during the delivery.
- Technology proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google collaboration suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Meets).
- A Degree or Diploma in Religious studies/Sikh studies or in Panjabi/comparative literature; or 5 years plus experience in traditional Sikh seminaries.
Compensation: Competitive salary based on the level of experience and industry standards for this role
Supervisor: Jaswant Singh, Content Lead