The Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI) is actively looking for an enthusiastic associate editor to join our team and participate in all stages of the publication process. You will support the Creative Director and work closely to administer, plan and produce all content. Knowledge of the Sikh faith is required. The Associate Editor will report directly to the Creative Director.
Associate Editor Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Creative Director to research and plan new articles
- Write and edit articles
- Commission articles
- Proofread and check content for accuracy
- Suggest possible sources and improvements for content
- Choose supporting material, like images and illustrations
- Follow current events and developments and suggest original ideas
- Liaise with team members (e.g., writers, graphics team, video producers, etc.), ensuring deadlines are met
- Update editorial queue and calendar
- Use social media and SEO to draw attention to articles
- Provide administrative support to the Creative Director
Associate Editor Requirements
- Degree in humanities, religious studies, or creative writing
- Proficiency in English required; additional proficiency in Panjabi preferred
- Impeccable grammar, spelling, and communication skills are a must
- Knowledge of editing principles, practices, and methods; modern English usage, publication format; principles of supervision
- Solid understanding and experience with AP Style and web publishing
- Basic HTML knowledge (h2s, links, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and direct others in their work
- Technology proficiency in Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management systems
- Excellent time and project management skills. Deadlines must be met.
In your cover letter, please include:
- WHY do you want to work for SikhRI?
- WHY are you the perfect fit for the job?
- WHY are you passionate about editing?